Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 3: Your first love

Really, my first love...  I will be completely honest on this one and most probably won't believe me.  It was my husband.  He was my very first infatuation. crush. boy that I couldn't say one word to.

No Really.

A little history if I may:  I am the only girl out of 5 boys - so needless to say I grew up very tom boyish.  My mom probably put me in charm school because she thought that my new nickname was going to be "Butch" if she didn't.  (She actually put me in charm school so that I could learn some manners, how to sit in a dress, do my makeup, model and all that other fun girly stuff.)

So with that background (like you really wanted to know) I wasn't truly boy crazy in grade school, like all the other girls starting being in 5th grade.  But, what I can tell you is that my husband was my only real crush.  Of course I crushed JTT, Andrew Keegan, Jonathan Jackson, Earnhardt Jr, and Bill Cowher.  But those guys I knew I would never really meet.  The hubs was that guy.  Every girl in school had a crush on him.  Whomever he was dating, unfortunately for her, we were waiting for them to breakup so we could have a chance!  (If you don't believe me, email me - I'll mail you all our yearbooks and you can find them on facebook/myspace and ask them.) 

So you might wonder how in the world I ever got to muster any kind of words to this hunk for him to even notice me?  Let me take you down our memory lane.

It was the end of my Freshman year (his sophomore year) in HS.  (I still, up until that day had not said a word to him.  I even contemplated dropping out of an after school activity because he was involved with it and I just couldn't handle it.)  I was sitting with my then bf waiting for the parentals to come and pick us up.  Well, the sexy hunk that my hubs was back then, walked over to me with a mouth FULL of sunflower seeds and all at the same time, spit/drooled the seeds out of his mouth and said, "Hi Sheryl".  I really wish I was kidding - but I'm not.  My jaw dropped.  The only thing I could get out of my mouth was, "Please go get something so I can wipe your spit and these seeds off of me".  He pretended he was going to get something to clean it up, but instead he picked me up and carried me into the boys locker room to throw me in the showers.  Really?  You've got to be kidding me!  Yes, thankfully, one of the coaches saw what was going on and rescued me before he put me in the shower.  That was it... until freakin Facebook.
Yes, Facebook, was like our match.com.  (No we weren't using FB to find dates - that's just how we began).  I had just got out of a crummy relationship with a complete d-bag and moved up to Buffalo to clear my head and get my life back in order.  I was breezing around FB to keep my mind off of the current situation when I stumbled across the hubs.  I thought well this is FB what do I have to lose.  I'll just friend him.  Thank You Sam Adams, aka Liquid Courage.   He accepted my friend request and asked how I was doing.  I vaguely told him why I had moved up to Buffalo, but that I was in fact in Buffalo.  After a few more exchanges, I very jokingly told him that I had bought plane tickets to come back down at NYE to spend time with some friends and would love to catch up over some drinks with him, "that is if he could pencil me in to his schedule".  Man did I get a shocking response.  He said, he could do better and wanted to know if he could pick me up at the airport.  OF COURSE!
Oddly, we continued exchanging texts and FB messages.  Why did you not just pick up the phone? We decided that we wanted to hear eachothers voices for the first time in YEARS, in person.  So for about 2 months we got to know each other over texts and FB messages, miles apart from eachother.  I flew down at NYE 2008 and the rest is history.  I moved back to Texas 3 months later.  He proposed just before Christmas 2008, we were married August 2009 and have been crazy about "Team Sears" ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment